As a freelance editor and researcher, I have worked for companies such as Cognition Education Ltd, StoryBox, Heritage New Zealand, LexisNexis, and New Zealand publishing presses Escalator Press and Freerange Press. For four years, I worked as an administrative assistant for Top Class Books for Children, a company who deliver books to school libraries across New Zealand.
Below you’ll find a brief portfolio of my professional publishing and creative experience. As well as working with words and their intricacies (structural editing, content editing, proofreading, content writing, fact checking), I also have production, project management, marketing and academic research experience. If you would like to know my full work history, please contact me here.
Editing and Proofreading
- Copy-editor for Freerange Press’s non-fiction title Death and Dying in New Zealand.
- Structural editor for L.J. Ritchie‘s Monsters of Virtue (Escalator Press).
- Proofreader for Kai and Culture: Food Stories from Aotearoa (Freerange Press).
- Proofreader for Everything is Right but Everything is Wrong by Erin Donohue (Escalator Press).
- Copy-editor for the New Zealand Book Council, including the Writers’ files of Bill Nagelkerke, Tony Simpson, Paul Cleave, Angie Belcher, Stephen Oliver, Raewyn Alexander, Paddy Richardson, Vaughan Rapatahana, Maria Gill, Catherine Chidgey, Des Hunt and Apirana Taylor.
- Proofreader for Te Ahu o te reo Māori: Reflecting on Research to Understand the Well-being of te reo Māori (Victoria University Press) and Intellectual Property and the Regulation of the Internet (Victoria University Press).
- Reference editor for Performing Dramaturgy (Playmarket) and The Vulgar Wasp (Victoria University Press).
Writing and Research
- Book reviewer for Booksellers NZ, including: We Can Make a Life by Chessie Henry, Ponti by Sharlene Teo, Rotoroa by Amy Head and The Mapmakers’ Race by Eirlys Hunter.
- Interview with Allison Rushby for the children’s literature website The Sapling.
- A research report for Heritage New Zealand, particularly for Pompallier Mission and Printery, involving the verification of historical phrases used onsite and on tours.
- Research report for StoryBox on the Puhi Kai Iti / Cook’s Landing project. Sourcing a range of phrases and quotes for use in the commemoration site in Gisborne.
- Researcher and writer for the New Zealand Book Council, including writing articles for: Hera Lindsay Bird, Vana Manasiadis, Bruce Ansley, Janet Martin, Michel Mulipola, Bianca Begovich, David Hair, James Russell, Carrie Rudzinski, Paul Beavis and Paul Mason.
- ‘”The emancipation of woman […] must come”: An Introduction to Ellen Ellis’s Everything is Possible to Will‘ (New Zealand Electronic Text Centre). My Honours thesis included researching, writing and encoding an introduction to a pioneer 19th century New Zealand novel. I chose Ellen Ellis’s Everything is Possible to Will, which has been out of print since 1882. As well as writing an introduction, I wrote and encoded footnotes within the online novel itself to assist a modern reader’s understanding of Ellen Ellis, a pioneer New Zealand feminist and writer.
- Whitireia Nursing & Health Journal 2017. As part of the Whitireia Publishing graduate year, each student project managed a manuscript through the entire publication process. With a team of six, I project managed the 2017 Whitireia Nursing & Health Journal through the editing, typesetting, design and printing process. I was also one of the editors of the journal, which involved significant copy-editing, proofreading, fact checking and reference formatting.
Production and Design
- 4th Floor 2017. As part of the WordPress production team for 4th Floor 2017, I formatted and uploaded prose and poetry contributions from 29 authors, designed a theme for the 2017 website, and produced and designed a printed zine using Adobe InDesign.
- Design Assignment, ‘Wellington, A History‘. As part of the Whitireia Publishing year, we were trained in Adobe Creative Suite products, such as InDesign and Photoshop. For this design assignment we were required to create an InDesign non-fiction book template from scratch and then typeset the first chapter (with found images).
Marketing and Publicity
- Performing Dramaturgy (Playmarket New Zealand, 2017). As marketer and publicist for Performing Dramaturgy, I created media releases, contact lists and arranged interviews and publicity for the non-fiction title.